Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Wednesday, April 27, 2011

the full story of last monday, or at least as much as I remember

It all started when I went to my doctor's for a normal week 38 appointment.  Normally I'm at the clinic for maybe ten minutes and am told that everything looks normal for me and baby.  This time I was told that my blood pressure was high (first time ever), and when the doctor felt the baby she noticed he had shifted from head down to transverse (sideways).  At this point I was told that I could either have someone try to squish baby back into the correct position but most likely fail because it was so late into pregnancy and he'd probably be to big to move, or I could have a c-section probably at the end of the week.  So not what I was expecting to hear!  Up until that point I was fully planning on having a natural birth.  Then the doctor told me she still didn't like the look of my high blood pressure, so I had to drive to the closest Kaiser hospital and have them look into it further.  By this time I mostly just felt bad for Luna because I thought I'd be gone an hour tops, and I had barely said goodbye to her that morning.  When I got to the hospital they checked baby and me again.  Now he was being ornery and had managed to turn a bit more to become breech.  That added to my still high blood pressure and massively swollen feet, I was told I needed a c-section the same day.  I was so not prepared to hear that!!!  I am one of those people who likes everything planned out ahead of time.  I own about a million books on pregnancy and labor, but since I had planned for a "normal" birth, I had skipped over all the c-section bits, so I was feeling nervous and completely unprepared.  But at the same time, I was really happy because it meant I got to meet my little guy two weeks early, and everyone I know whose had a baby within the past year or two has had their babies at least 5 days late, and I was antsy to meet him as it was.  I do admit, I probably should had broken the news better to Jeff.  When I found out the news I called him and I think the conversation started something like me saying, "So, you want to have a baby today?"  Needless to say, he was a bit shocked.  Oh, somewhere in the middle of this story a nurse who hadn't read my info gave me water, and since I didn't know at that point that I needed an empty stomach for surgery drank it all.  Oops.  That honestly might have been the most difficult bit of my day, not eating anything from 8am until about 1:30 am the next morning.  I was sooo starving by the time they let me have ice chips.  Let me tell you, ice chips have never been so amazingly delicious as they were last Monday, or I guess technically early Tuesday morning.   Anyway, Jeff finally got to the hospital (looking back I think it's a little funny that I drove myself to the hospital to have a baby, I just didn't know it at the time.  But at least I didn't have to worry about being in labor in rush hour traffic on the way there.  I was nervous about that either because the hospital is kinda far away) and we watched The Incredibles while waiting for an OR to open up for my c-section.  By the way, I am thankful for being so OCD prepared, because Liam's room was already ready for him, the car seat was already installed in Jeff's car, and Liam's diaper bag, and our hospital bag were already in Jeff's trunk.  Booyah!  I don't know if it being a full moon had anything to do with it but there were about a million c-sections that night.  At one point there were 7 in line ahead of me!  And that night was the first night the hospital had ever reached capacity in the L&D floor.  I have to give mad props to all the nurses and doctors because I am completely terrified of needles, but they made me feel comfortable and explained everything as they went along, and I didn't even feel the spinal I was so freaked out about.  The surgery was such a strange feeling though, I was carrying on a conversation with Jeff and the doctors while several hands were reaching into my stomach.  It seriously felt like someone was lightly jabbing my stomach with their fingers (in a totally non-painful way), but I couldn't move my lower body, and my upper body kept twitching without my permission.  And when they started pulling Liam out it felt like a fat person was trying to sit on me.  Oh yeah, and he was born at 8:34 pm.  My only annoyance really was that Jeff got to hold Liam first, even though there really wasn't a way for me to hold him, because I couldn't fully control my arms, and the vertical sheet came up almost to my shoulders.  I have to say, it was nice knowing I didn't have to push Liam out at 40 weeks, because by then he would have been huge.  He was one ounce away from reaching 8 pounds at week 38!  He was 20.5 inches, and he got a 9 on his APGAR.  Because he rocks.  Not that I'm a proud mom or anything.  He was and is also very cute (I know I'm biased, but the nurses all agreed with me).  After the doctor stitched all 5 layers of me up I was given some wonderful morphine so that the nurses could squish my stomach every half hour to check things and not worry about me hitting them, because even with the happy drugs, that part hurt!  By this time it was around 10:30pm, and I felt bad because I know at least a half dozen family members were in the waiting room, and had been since about 7.  Finally we got moved into a recovery room at about 1am, and everyone got to come in and meet Liam.  Mad props to those who stayed to meet him (a few went home first, owing to the late hour) since it was very early Tuesday morning then, even everyone still had work that day.  After that it was 3 days in the hospital, a lot of medication, Jeff making fun of me for walking like an old lady, and a lot of everyone fawning over Liam.  All in all, I'm glad I got to meet Liam early, and that I didn't need to worry about my water breaking in public, or going through a 20 hour labor, etc.  Plus April 18 is a very nice looking date, and now no one I know has to share a birthday (there were at least 3 possibilities for Liam to share with).  And now a little over a week later, Liam is doing great, although he fusses much less when I hold him versus when others hold him (Mom was less than thrilled about that...), and I felt great (mostly) unless someone makes me laugh, then my stomach kills me.  Unfortunately Jeff keeps trying to make me laugh on purpose.  Woe be it to him if that makes my stitches fall out!  The best part is that Luna seems to like Liam, or at least put up with him.  I was really hopefully that they'd get along.  The first day we were home he freaked her out.  Every time he'd make a random noise she'd hide under the nearest piece of furniture.  But then two days ago I was sitting on the couch holding Liam in my arms when Luna jumped up and curled up on my lap.  Just like old times.  Love it!  BTW, expect to see about a million pictures coming soon, but right now I can't reach the camera...

2 comments:

  1. from the few pictures I've seen, I will have you know that you are not biased - he is way too adorable!! Such a cutie!

    ReplyDelete