Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Oatmeal Cookies (with a healthy-ish surprise!)

Ok, so I did not create this recipe.  I got it from Deceptively Delicious.  And I KNOW it may look weird on paper, but the cookies are yummy and moist and very much like muffin tops, not cookies.  Plus, they have oatmeal in them so I can tell myself they're healthy and eat a bunch.  :)

1 cup whole-wheat flour
1 cup oats
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp cinnamon (I love cinnamon, so I used about a tablespoon...)
3/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
6 tbsp margarine
1/2 cup banana puree
1/2 cup zucchini puree (no that is not a typo)
1 large egg white
1/2 cup raisins (optional)
1/2 cup chopped walnuts (optional)

Total time involved: 35 minutes
makes 2 dozen cookies

 Note: don't use an electric mixer because it will make the cookies tough.  It's not difficult to stir by hand though, I have zero arm muscles and I did it just fine.

Preheat the oven to 350 F.  Coat two baking sheets with cooking spray, or line with parchment.
Combine the flour, oats, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon, and stir to mix.  In a large bowl, beat the sugar and margarine with a wooden spoon until just combined; do not overmix.  Add the banana and zucchini purees, and the egg white, and stir just to blend.  Add the flour mixture, raisins, and walnuts, if using, and stir to combine. 

Drop the dough by heaping tablespoonful onto the baking sheets, leaving about 2 inches in between.  Bake until golden brown, 12 to 15 minutes.  Let the cookies cool on the baking sheet for 4 to 5 minutes, just until they are firm enough to handle, then transfer to a rack and cool completely.

No comments:

Post a Comment